Add new tag
I had to take a lot of time away from my pursuit of machine shop pleasures. There was a cyber DDoS attack on the shared IP address I use for a lot of my domains. More details are over on my personal blog, Ramblin’ Dan. Let’s just say my shared Internet address was very busy for a few days.
One of the things I did was to give this blog its own web address. This site used to be a sub-domain of TEDatum (THMSBlog.TEDatum.com) on a shared IP address, but now has its own identity (THMSBlog.com). Note the TEDatum is gone in the middle.
It’s a bit of work to make that change (switch IP addresses) and it was actually a nice (?) learning experience. The old URL with the TEDatum will continue to work but I suggest if you have this site book marked, you change to the new shorter URL, just in case there is another DDoS or someday I forget and remove the cross link. Not likely to forget, but I am getting older…
I don’t know why the attack started and persisted so long. I assume what I do here is pretty innocuous to most folks. However I do not know who or what else may have been on the shared IP. Just roll with the punches and they won’t hurt so badly.
I spent the weekend getting the last of the CNC milling bugs out of making the stepper mounts/heat-sinks for the HB2. Here is a picture of the trial version. I finally have all the speeds and feeds correct for the fragile little 3/32 end mill I am using to cut the fins. This thing is beginning to look like the cylinder head on a lawnmower.
The oversize holes near the top were a mistake. I could also say they were an experiment.
I use mist cooling when doing the milling. The air compressor broke on Saturday that sprays the mist. Today with the new compressor everything went fine. The DeWalt is a good brand. I really like the lower noise level. It is not silent but a lot more bearable than the Kobalt.
Here is a link to a short video showing the milling of the heat sink above. There is actually a fine cooling mist coming out of the nozzle as well a good bit of air. The air compressor was NOT running in this video.
I have the four blanks cut today for the real parts. I feel confident in starting on the real product.